Whenever you look at a screw, the first thought that must come to your mind would be putting the screw in the wall to make it hold a particular structure or model. Although, putting the screw in the wall is a very tedious task and it requires a skilled and experienced person for the job.
Even then, there are a lot of factors such as vibrations and problems with tools that interfere with the process and damage the screw halfway. This is where you will be needing a proper screw extractor by your side to get you through the job. If you do not own a screw extractor yet and looking to buy a new one, here are some things to look out for:
- Supported Screw Size: You must have the proper size of the screw extractor which supports the screw size that is stuck inside the wall. No matter how hard you try, you cannot get the screw out of the wall with a smaller or larger extractor.
- Gripping Power: When the screw gets stuck inside the wall, it can be either halfway in the wall or even more. In such a case, it requires a lot of power and grip to pull it out. With the perfect gripping power on your screw extractor, you will be able to do it easily.
- The number of options: The screw extractors are offered in a series or a set. Each set consists of a particular series of extractor sizes. With a large number of pieces in a set, you are more likely to find the perfect match for your screws.
Screw extractors are probably the most common set of tools and widely available almost everywhere. These extractors come in all shapes and forms and suit a certain range of applications.
To make sure you get your hands on the best option, we have given you the best screw extractors that are out there. Here, you will find all the related information about a particular option and make an informed decision about the one you are going to buy. You can also refer to the “Buying Guide” available later in the article for the same.
Best Screw Extractors 2021
Best Screw Extractor Reviews
Coming at the top, we have placed the IRWIN Screw Extractor/ Drill Bit Set as our top choice for the best screw extractors. This set includes 10 different pieces that double as a drill bit apart from the screw extractor.
These pieces are designed to remove broken screws and studs that get stuck inside sockets and fillings. You will find an aggressive left-hand spiral design on these units that helps to forcefully pull out the screw with extras gripping power.
Each of these pieces has a particular extractor’s size and drill bit size embedded on them. Thus, you can always check what size of bit you are applying before starting to extract the screw. There are easy out spiral flutes that are also embedded on the pieces that increase the grip on the broken screws as the resistance from the screws increases. These cobalt made pieces offer a great amount of strength.
- Includes 10 different pieces
- Double as a drill bit
- Designed to remove broken screws and studs
- Aggressive left-hand spiral design
- Embedded size
- Easy out spiral flutes
- Better grip for more resistance
- Pieces are made of cobalt
- One of the hardest bits from our picks
- Suitable for even the most deeply stuck screws
Our 2nd pick for the best screw extractor is the Werkzeug Damaged Screw Extractor Set. This set is one of the versatile options from our list as it offers 20 different pieces which are quite good for future proof usage.
All of these 20 pieces are made up of high-speed steel 4341 metal. This gives them high hardness along with increased durability. There are extension bit holders included in the set. These extractors can remove the screws in just one step. Thus, reducing the need for adjusting the chuck again and again.
You will be able to use this extractor kit not only for screws, but also for different other types of fixtures such as Allen bolts, lag bolts, sheet metal attachments, and many others. Werkzeug has confirmed that you can use this extractor kit with an electric hand drill. Therefore, the operation with this set will be much easier as you don’t have to apply manual force. Although, you should keep the hammer drill at a slower speed.
- Made out of High-speed steel
- Offers 20 different pieces
- Made up of high-speed steel 4341
- Increased durability
- Extension bit holders included
- Can remove the screws in one step
- No need for additional adjustment
- Suitable for screws and Allen bolts
- Can be used with hand drills
- A lot of variety available
- Material quality is good
In the 3rd position, we have a damaged screw extractor kit from EasyOut. You must be familiar with this brand and might also be using one of their products already as this is the most popular name on our list.
While it is one of the affordable options on our list, it has limited accessibility. The Werkzeug Screw Extractor Kit contains only 4 pieces of screw extractors. But with the double-headed design, you will be getting a total of 8 different options that can be used with almost any drill machine.
The stripped screw extractor removes all types of screws from the walls whether it is stuck, broken, or severely rusted inside the wall. The steps to use this extractor are pretty simple. All you have to do is get a suitable size screw remover from the set and extract the screw directly with the tool.
It has a rated hardness of 63 to 65 HRC that is higher than most standard screws that are commonly used everywhere. This provides great durability and assurance while using the tool.
- 4 pieces of screw extractors
- 8 different options
- Removes all types of screws
- Simple to use
- 63 to 65 HRC hardness
- Great durability and assurance
- Hardness level is quite high
- Reliable brand name for many users
- Limited options available
Up next, we have one more highly versatile set of screw extractor kit that includes 22 different pieces in just a single set. This amount of options in such an inexpensive unit is surely a wonder. There is almost no compromise in the quality of the bits as each bit is made up of S2 alloy steel.
You should note that this steel is stronger than regular high-speed steel. Thus, you will be getting more hardness on these bits that will make the extraction process even easier.
In the 20 different pieces, 10 pieces are drill bits and 10 pieces are extractors so that you have an equal amount of options for both tasks. The package also includes 1 piece extension bit holder and 1 piece socket holder for no extra charge. These tools can work with all standard sized drills and screwdrivers if you are going for a manual operation. The overall packaging of the unit is quite compact and allows you to take it to a distant location easily.
- 22 different pieces
- S2 alloy steel bits
- Better strength than high-speed steel
- Better hardness levels
- 10 pieces drill bits
- 10 pieces extractors
- Includes 1 piece extension bit
- Includes 1 piece socket holder
- Works with all standard sized drills
- Compact packaging
- A large number of pieces included
- Material quality is very good
The extractor tool we have here from the manufacturer RWYMQWT comes as a set of 6 pieces. This low-cost set is ideal for effortlessly removing broken, damaged, and stripped screws.
The whole set is made of durable high-quality steel HSS 4341 that has a remarkable hardness of 63 HRC and due to their high rigidity, they can easily deal with damaged screws.
All you have to do is insert the drill side on the screw to drill until you get a good grip then flip the tool and insert the extractor side to begin extraction.
Weighing just 4.2 ounces and measuring 2.36 x 1.5 x 0.5 inches, this lightweight small-size extractor set can be carried around in one’s pocket without any hassle. You will be receiving a durable case to place the set in one place safely.
- High-speed steel material
- 63 HRC hardness
- 6-piece set
- Sturdy and convenient
- Comes with a travel case
- Not works well with rusted screws
Up next, we are featuring the last pick from our list that offers such a large amount of options in just a single unit. The Xool Screw Extractor Tool is made out of high-speed steel 4241 that is very hard and durable against all sorts of damage.
There are a total of 22 different pieces included in the set out of which 10 pieces are drill bits and 10 pieces are screw extractors. There is an extended drill bit bracket and an additional sleeve adapter to complete the collection.
The best part about this screw extractor is that it has a magnetic bit holder that automatically grasps the broken screw and helps you to remove it easily. The adjustable collar can absorb large amounts of torque so that you don’t accidentally break the extractor while pulling off a hardly stuck screw. The drill bit holder also enables you to reach hard to reach areas that are not accessible by the drill bit itself.
- High-speed steel 4241 material
- Hard and durable against damage
- 22 different pieces included
- 10 pieces are drill bits
- 10 pieces are screw extractors
- Extended drill bit bracket included
- Additional sleeve adapter included
- Magnetic bit holder
- Adjustable collar for better torque absorption
- Suitable for hard to reach areas
- Added components are great
- Multiple options available for each application
- Comparatively weaker bits
Coming back to the budget-oriented options, we have a screw extractor from RMQ. This screw extraction kit is solely aimed for general purpose applications and only features 5 different pieces in the unit.
Still, each of these 5 parts is highly durable as they are made out of stainless steel with a hardness rating of 65 HRC. The damaged screw extractor kit works with almost all kinds of drills and is capable of removing the screw and bolt ranging from 3 to 12 mm in size.
To use the screw extractor, just select a drill bit that is a level smaller than the broken screw and you can easily remove it from the wall by pulling it with the help of an anticlockwise drill. The screw extractors have an added layer of titanium which dramatically decreases the chances of rusting and corrosion of the pieces. Also, it makes the pieces look shiny and easily readable which is certainly an advantage.
- Features 5 different pieces
- Highly durable parts
- Stainless steel material
- 65 HRC hardness
- Works with almost all kinds of drills
- 3 to 12 mm screws can be removed
- An added layer of titanium on bits
- Safe from corrosion
- Shining bits are easy to read
- Budget oriented
- Can be used outdoors without any problem
In the last position, we have the 11 pieces Screw Extractor Tool Kit Set from Lockwish. Even though it is in the last position, it is still one of the best screw extractors in the market right now with chrome vanadium steel made bits.
The bits are tempered twice to assure high hardness and anti-rust property of the bits. It also makes them durable and compatible with aggressive left-handed as well as right-handed spiral flute design. In case you face damage or a defective part in the package, Lockwish offers full refunds and compensation.
You will find 10 different sizes of the bits in this selection that are suitable for almost all kinds of tools whether they are power or manual. You can also use these bits with a hammer or a general electric drill to make the job much easier. You will be able to extract a wide range of broken and damaged utilities with this unit such as screws, fasteners, metal taps, and many more. You can also use the drill bits to create holes in wooden, plastic, and even metal materials.
- 11 pieces screw extractor tool kit set
- Chrome vanadium steel bits
- Double tempered bits
- High hardness and anti-rust property
- Left-handed as well as right-handed spiral flute
- 10 different sizes of the bits
- Suitable for almost all kinds of tools
- Can be used with a hammer or electric drill
- Versatile application range
- Bit quality is great
- There is no warranty period
Buying Guide For The Best Screw Extractor
Now that you are finished with the best screw extractors, it is time we take a look at various properties and parameters offered by screw extractors in general. While going through our picks, you must have identified a couple of parameters as they are repeated in almost all of the units.
These parameters change according to the aimed application of the unit and also with the budget range of the set. To pick up the most suited product according to your usage, you should pay close attention to these parameters. After going through our buying guide, you will get familiar with a lot of these options and will be able to prioritize the ones that you need in your screw extractor.
Supported Screw Size
If you have worked with screws in the past, you must know that there are a variety of screw sizes that are used for different purposes.
Although, there is an equal chance for all types of crews to get stuck or damaged while being forced into a material. Thus, you must be ready to pull out any type of screw from the wall irrespective of its size. For that, you will have to purchase a screw extractor that supports various kinds of screws effectively.
The gripping power required to pull a broken screw is dependent on the material it is stuck inside. Also, the length of the screw has a play in this factor. If you are using longer nails on ceramic walls, you will require a very high gripping power to pull out the screw from the wall.
For that, your screw extractor must be able to create such a grip on the screw. Only the extractors that are made out of a higher grade material than the screw can create such a grip on the screws.
The material of the screw extractors must be harder than that of the screw. Otherwise, it will get easily worn off while working and break pretty soon. Using a harder material bit will avoid this possibility and make your extractor capable of removing thousands of screws before showing any wear and tear.
Although, the high-grade materials are mostly available on the premium options. Fortunately, all of our picks have decent material and are suitable for most users.
Apart from screw extractors, you will need many other components such as drill bit holders, extension bit holders, and additional sleeves so that you can do the job properly. Shaving these components added in the same package saves you the additional time and cost of purchasing them separately. But, you should also keep an eye out regarding the quality of these components as a failure of these parts will render your extractor bits useless.
While working with screws you should have both, a screwdriver and a screw extractor ready by your side. Most of the time, the screws face an obstacle inside the wall and deviate from their path while going in.
If you are using a power screwdriver to put the screws in the wall, you will find the screw damaged inside the wall instantly before you get a chance to stop the driver. A screw extractor can do wonders in these conditions by saving you a lot of time. You can simply grip the broken screw in the extractor and pull it out easily. If you are still not sure about which one you have to get, take a look at some of the best screw extractors from our picks.
- One of the most important factors of a screw extractor is to have options. The ORIA Damaged Screw Extractor Set gives you 22 different options whenever you are stuck with a broken screw. This set is also quite cheaper than many other options.
- In case the screw is severely stuck inside the wall, you sometimes have to use the tougher extractors like IRWIN Screw Extractor/ Drill Bit Set. This extractor has 10 different pieces included in the set that are made of cobalt for ultimate hardness. This is surely a premium pick and suitable for a lifetime of use.
- You must have recognized the brand name EasyOut while going through our picks as it is quite a popular name in the market. Thus, our last recommendation is the Damaged Screw Extractor Kit from EasyOut. As it has a lot of permissible reviews already, it is certainly a great pick for casual use.