If you love entertaining your guests in outdoors, then a fire pit is one of the essential things to have.
Unlike traditional option, you don’t have to manually start a campfire which usually takes a lot of effort and time. Outdoor fire pit models are easy to operate and handle. So, you can enjoy cooking without any hassle.
There are so many amazing fire pits available that cater to different outdoor spaces and tastes. Choosing among them can be a difficult task. To make the process easy, we recommend considering the below factors.
1. Fuel Type –
You have to decide whether to use a wood-burning or gas fire pit before buying a fire pit. Both are safer and effective to use, yet they have their own set of pros and cons.
- If you are interested in outdoor cooking or love that campfire smell, then opt for a wood-burning fire pit. Regular ash cleanup, smokiness and fuel maintenance are some of its drawbacks.
- If you like safe, convenient option that has heat level control, then go for a gas fire pit. However, regular checkup of gas lines and tanks is required.
2. Size –
Generally, fire pits are available in all sizes and shapes. The larger the pit size, the more people can easily accommodate around it. The larger one can allow 10 people to sit around comfortably, whereas the smaller one can accommodate only 2 – 4 persons. Based on your outdoor space availability, portability, and budget range, you have to choose your best one.
3. Weight –
Check out the weight of the model to analyze its portability. Lighter options are compact and portable that can be moved around easily, while heavier options are somewhat difficult to transport by 1 – 2 persons.
Here we analyzed various models and listed the best outdoor fire pits in terms of build quality, durability, and safety features. Also, a detailed “Buying Guide” at the end of these products will help you to know what factors we have to consider most and how to make your choice the best.
Read on to select your best option.
7 Best Outdoor Fire Pits
7 Best Outdoor Fire Pits Reviews
Landman USA is a very popular brand that sells a lot of products all around the country. It also makes a high user rated outdoor fire pit.
In the 1st place, we have placed Landmann 28335 because of its large size as well as the beautiful design aspect. It has a large 24 inches diameter and 12.5 inches depth so that you can store more fuel at once for a longer run. The design is particularly attractive as it has moon and star cutouts all over the sides, and it creates a beautiful illumination around the pit. You can find a complete circular handle to easily carry this pit around even when it is burning.
It has a pretty robust build quality as it is made up of steel body along with 3 balanced steel legs. You will be getting a 22.5 inches diameter cooking grate included in the package along with a long 37 inches solid steel poker to move the fuel around. You can find a complete circular handle to easily carry this pit around even when it is burning.
- large-sized fire pit
- Beautiful design
- 24 inches diameter
- 5 inches depth
- Moon and star cutouts all over the sides
- Complete circular handle
- Easy to transport
- Steel body
- 3 legs for better stability
- 5 inches diameter cooking grate
- 37 inches solid steel poker
- Build quality is great
- Poker is long as well as strong
- Not suitable for long-distance travel
- Bit heavier than many other options
Campfire Defender Protect Preserve is rather an unfamiliar name in this genre. But, they have a pretty lightweight option available, as mentioned below.
In the 2nd position, we have placed the Pop-Up Fire Pit by Campfire Defender Protect Preserve. As the name suggests, it is a portable wood as well as a charcoal burning fire pit that can be disassembled to fit in a small bag. This makes it a very great choice for traveling. Also, it is pretty lightweight, weighing only 7 lbs, which add up to the portability. Once it is fully set up, it gives you a wide 24 by 24 inches fire pit.
It is pretty easy to set up as well as it does not require any extra tool, and it can be set up under a minute. It has an aluminum body that cools down pretty quickly after the fire is extinguished. Under 90 seconds, you can wrap up the fire pit without any problem. A durable carrying case is included in the package along with a durable stainless steel mesh. The fire mesh is backed by 1 year of guarantee from manufacturers.
- Portable options
- Can be packed in a bag for traveling
- Ideal for distant outdoor application
- Lightweight option
- Weighs only 7 lbs
- 24 by 24 inches square fire pit
- Easy to set up
- No tools required
- Full set up under 1 minute
- Aluminum body
- Faster cooling down
- Carrying case included
- Stainless steel mesh
- 1-year guarantee on fire mesh
- Fire mesh has a year of guarantee from the manufacturer
- Best option for travelers
- Build quality is not that great
- Pretty expensive price tag
YAHEETECH is a premium brand that is known for its durable and multi-purpose options. Here is an outdoor fire pit from YAHEETECH.
Our 3rd pick for the best outdoor fire pits is the YAHEETECH 32 inches Outdoor Metal Fire Pit. It is one of the largest options available on this list. As it is a square fire pit, it has great stability as well as a sturdy design. Hence, it is best suited for many purposes, such as backyard camping or cold winter nights. It has a mesh lid included to keep the fuel and small blowing particles inside.
Overall, the body is made of high-quality iron for decent build quality. Also, you will be getting an outer cover included in the package to prevent it from rusting because of water contact. There will be a manual in the package that will have instructions to assemble it the first time. It weighs around 25.8 lbs, so it falls under the heavy category of outdoor fire pits.
- Large outdoor fire pit
- 32 inches fire pit
- Great stability
- Sturdy design
- Best suited for multiple purposes
- Mesh lid included
- Safe to sit close
- High-quality iron build
- outer cover included
- Rust protection
- Manual with instruction for assembling
- Weighs 25.8 lbs
- A premium option for backyard camping
- Build quality is great
- No warranty available
- Not suitable for transport
Kingso is a comparatively lesser-known brand name on this list. Still, you can get an antique-looking outdoor fire pit from Kingso.
KINGSO Outdoor Fire Pit is a 22 inches diameter circular fire pit that is made of durable steel frame along with a black heat resistant finish. It is the most lightweight option from our list, weighing only 5.99 lbs. There is a fire mesh included with the pit that avoids any sparks or debris from coming out of the pit. A wooden handle poker is also included to help you arrange the fuel easily.
As it is pretty big in size, it becomes versatile and viable for many applications such as a general fire pit, a barbeque station, or a great travel companion. You can quickly assemble all the parts as it is very easy with the 4 legs and an outer rim. Kingso is providing a personal satisfaction guarantee on this outdoor fire pit.
- Large outdoor fire pit
- Antique look
- 22 inches diameter circular fire pit
- Durable steel body
- Most lightweight option
- Weighs 5.99 lbs
- Fire mesh included
- Wood handled poker included
- Safe to sit around
- Versatile option
- Easy to assemble
- 4 legs for great stability
- Satisfaction guarantee from Kingso
- Most lightweight option
- Least expensive option from the list
- Build quality could be better
- Needs quite a bit of space for storage on a trip
Bali is another less popular brand from our picks. But, you should still take a look at its large outdoor fire pit.
If you are looking for a big option, you should take a look at BALI OUTDOORS Wood Burning Fire Pit as it is one of the larger sized outdoor fire pits from our picks. With a 32 inches diameter fire pit, you will get an adjustable grill setting that is essential for a better cooking experience. You will also get an all-around outer ledge giving you convenient access to edibles. It stands on 4 legs that are connected together via a large ring for the best possible stability.
Inside the fire pit, you will be getting a collapsible triangle frame rack that can hold logs at a certain angle for efficient burning. It also provides plenty of space for a bigger fire. The poker and frame are included in the package. This outdoor fire pit is accompanied by FDA food-grade, so you can rest assured that it is pretty safe for cooking. It weighs around 27 lbs, falling in the heavy section of fire pits.
- Large-sized fire pit
- 32 inches diameter fire pit
- Adjustable grill
- All around outer ledge
- 4 legs with an interconnecting circular pipe
- Great stability
- Collapsible triangle frame inside the pit
- Efficient burning
- Poker and frame are included
- Rated safe from FDA food-grade
- Weighs 27 lbs
- Stability is great
- Safety is assured by FDA food-grade
- Not suitable for long-distance travel
- Bit heavier than other options
You probably might not have heard about Sunnydaze Decor before this article. But, they are offering a very large outdoor fire pit given below.
Sunnydaze Crossweave Outdoor Fire Pit is the largest option available in our list of the best outdoor fire pits. It has a large 36 inches diameter pit, which is 11 inches deep. So you can get an idea of how big it is outside as well as inside. As it is pretty big in size, it adds up in the weight causing it to weigh around 29 lbs. It is one of the most heavy-duty options as it is made up of a durable steel body. It is painted with a bronze high-temperature paint for long-lasting quality and rust resistance.
It is also pretty easy to move around as it has a circular handle all around the edge. You can also see a pretty decorative cross weave pattern design that creates great shadow effects when it is operational. You will get all the accessories such as fire bowl set, metal spark screen, weatherproof round cover, built-in wood-burning grate, and a poker tool included in the package. It is backed by a year of warranty from Sunnydaze.
- Largest option for an outdoor fire pit
- 36 inches diameter pit
- 11 inches deep
- Weighs around 29 lbs
- Most heavy-duty option
- Durable steel body
- Painted with a bronze high-temperature paint
- Long-lasting quality and rust resistance
- Circular handle
- Decorative cross weave pattern design
- Many accessories included
- 1-year warranty
- Largest outdoor fire pit
- It has a warranty duration
- Very heavy in comparison
- Not ideal for long-distance traveling
HY-C is our last pick for the best outdoor fire pits in the market. If you are looking for a compact fire pit, then you should consider this.
Lastly, we are providing you a great option for a compact outdoor fire pit. With just a 13.5 inches diameter, it can be easily stored and transported to any distant location without any problem. As it is pretty compact, it weighs much less as compared to other options that are around 10 lbs only. It has a black powder coat paint finish that gives it a very fashionable look.
You can see holes all around its periphery that provides efficient air circulation for larger flames. Even though it is small in size, it produces a really comfortable environment around it with sufficient lighting and comfortable warmth. HY-C is providing 1 year of warranty on this outdoor fire pit.
- compact outdoor fire pit
- 5 inches diameter
- Can be easily stored and transported
- Weighs only 10 lbs
- black powder coat paint finish
- Fashionable look
- Efficient air circulation
- larger flames can be obtained
- Good enough for a small group
- 1-year warranty
- Very compact outdoor fire pit
- Best option for continuous traveling
- Build quality is not ideal
- A bit expensive compared to its size
Buying Guide For The Best Outdoor Fire Pit
One should know what to look for when it comes to buying an outdoor fire pit. To make yourself enjoy on backyards, you have to select the pits that are built to last, safe & easy to use with a warm but manageable flame and less smoke.
Let’s check out what are those factors to be considered…
1. Types of Fire Pits:
Whenever we think about the fire pits, most often that comes to our mind is the arrangement of stacked stones or blocks in a circle (DIY projects using pavers). It is just a part of various type of fire pits available. The other types include fire bowls, fire pit tables, tabletop fire pits, and chimineas.
Let’s know about them in detail.
Fire Pit Bowls – This lightweight unit comes with a round deep metal fire pit (bowl) that effectively add elegance and warmth to the outdoors, especially on a chilly evening. Thus, it let you move out of the way easily in smaller spaces.
Fire Pit Tables – It features a ledge suitable to rest plates or glasses around the perimeter of the flames. Thus, it adds a functional and beautiful element to your outdoor spaces. So, check out for the fire pit tables having an insert to cover the firebox, as it allows to use a full table after turning off the gas burner.
Tabletop Fire Pits & Fire Bowls – One can easily generate a unique centerpiece with this fire bowl, tabletop fire pit or firepot. With its dancing flames, the unit produces ambient light and warm the area. A few models use liquid propane, which makes it suits better for outdoor heating. While gel type fuel is mostly used by fire bowls, which allow you to enjoy well on your deck, patio or pool.
Chiminea – It has a modern design, rustic look or classic clean lines that add a striking look to your outdoor cooking area or patio. Based on the particular model, these chimineas are fueled by propane, wood or natural gas.
2. Fire Pit Fuel Types:
The main thing you need to decide before shopping for a fire pit is which fuel type you want to use – gas or wood-burning pit. Each type has its own set of pros and cons. A few models can use more than one fuel type. Though it is a personal preference to choose the pit type, yet it is essential to know about them in detail to make the right decision as per their requirement.
Wood Burning Fire Pits:
Here the fire pits use wood pellets, wood logs, charcoal or a combination of these that let you make an open bonfire. They are deep enough that helps to deter embers from flying here and there, which makes it a safer, and convenient option compared to normal open bonfires.
They are designed to emit less smoke, and most models offer ashtrays in the base for a quick, easy and effective cleanup. A few models offer internal fans to keep up the fire going to help you complete your task.
Do you love campfire (or) interested in outdoor cooking (or) looking to generate a lot of heat for a warm feel on a chilly evening? Then go with a wood-burning/charcoal-burning fire pit. It is considered the best option to use in open areas away from structures. The main drawbacks of this type of fuel fire pit are fuel maintenance, ash cleanup, emit smokiness, and potential fire hazards from embers (not much).
Gas Fire Pits:
It generates a clean fire by using natural gas or propane without ash, embers, and thereby nothing to clean up. Since there are no fire hazards from embers, it is considered the safest, consistent, and convenient to use than wood/charcoal burning fires. You can either turn on the switch (or) switch on with a flip (or) press a button. It offers different flame height and heat levels and you can set the one as per your requirement.
They are perfect to use for well-designed outdoor tables or patios (or) instead of wood fires in camping, if they are not allowed or inconvenient to use. Though it is not an ideal option for cooking due to their potential mess, they won’t give the smell of a campfire and also you have to store the propane tank for its continuous use. One has to inspect and maintain the gas lines and tanks carefully to prevent any leaks.
You can easily purchase propane, which is inexpensive and comes in portable tanks. Also, it won’t make any mess to install and burns easily, quickly, effectively without any issue. Some models are equipped with temperature control that allows you to lighten the fire pit easily. If you want to install a plumbed gas-fired fire pits, then make sure to hire a professional for the desired location to fix the gas line pipe and to plumbed it properly.
3. Fire Pit Material:
There are a variety of materials used to make fire pits as hard enough to sustain heat. The most common materials are metals (stainless steel, copper, cast iron & aluminum), and stone (brick, or concrete). Check out which one is the best option suitable for your need.
Metals – Most standalone fire pits are made with steel than other metals. A few are designed to develop their own patina, while others are stainless steel that doesn’t rust yet has to be covered and a few others are raw and get rusted quickly if left unprotected. So, cover the metal fire pits while not using/storing to prevent rust buildup.
Stone – Another popular choice, which is widely used to make outdoor fire pits. You can find fire pits that are housed or painted inside another exterior like concrete, fiberglass or brick.
Verdict: Looking for a fire pit to stay backyard for a longer time, then invest in the good material (steel or stone) that stand up to the elements and make sure to place a cover over it while storing/not using. Or else, go for a lightweight and portable option to store indoors easily.
The fire pits come in various shapes and sizes, in which you can choose one of your desired size and shapes, as per your budget range and space availability.
A general rule is that a larger fire pit can easily accommodate more people. For instance, the largest fire pit can allow 10 people to seat around comfortably without thronging (messy), whereas the smallest one can accommodate 2 – 4 people to seat around. The smaller ones are easy to carry around and store, yet suitable for fewer people like a small family.
So, check out your required size that is suitable for your outdoor space and prioritize depth, if possible, for a safety issue. Generally, deeper fire pits can hold more wood logs with no spill-out on the top and won’t throw off embers. Thus, it may not disrupt your enjoyment on a chilly evening or while cooking food outdoors.
The weight is also essential to consider while purchasing the fire pit, as it plays a key role in the transportability (portability) of this fire pit. A heavier fire pit will offer better build quality, and stability, but it can’t be transported to any distant location easily by 1 – 2 people. Similarly, a lightweight option can easily pick up by anyone that aids in easy movement. But it has lesser build quality, which is more vulnerable to get damaged due to any sudden impact.
6. Style and Shape:
Usually, the fire pits come in a variety of styles and shapes, in which you have to select the one that matches your décor and fit perfectly to your space. Check out the most commonly available shapes and styles of fire pits.
Round Fire Pit – It is the most common shape used widely for wood-burning pit models. Just like a campfire, this round-shaped pit emits heat evenly all around the perimeter to ensure a warm and cozy seat for every person.
Rectangular Fire Pit – It is the best option suitable for narrower patios (or) to those who create some design in your outdoor space. This shaped fire pit works perfectly for sofa seating or individual chairs to keep warmth to everyone.
Square Fire Pit – The square-shaped fire pit edges will provide extra space to place your refreshments like a fire pit table or a campfire-style made from concrete or stone blocks.
Though it mostly depends on your personal preference on which one to choose for your yard. We suggest you look for the one which achieves or fits in with your existing outdoor décor.
Also, fire pit styles are available in all types of design. Choose a fire pit with a modern design having sharp lines when you want to have a contemporary feel, while a rustic fire pit works well with traditional décor. So, choose it as per your decorating requirement.
7. Permanent Vs. Portable:
A permanent fire pit is found in some homes that built into the ground or in the deck. Though these are considered a great option for forming a selected spot to sit and spend time around the fire, they won’t offer any location versatility. They need to be custom-installed (with the advice of a professional), which makes them more expensive than a portable option.
If you are installing a permanent seating area outdoors while getting a new fire pit, then make sure to install a permanent fire pit to have a better experience. Whereas, if you want to move your seating area around throughout the season, then go with a portable fire pit (movable pit). Also, check out the uber-portable pits that come under this category, which allow you to enjoy a nice chilly evening by sitting around it.
Since a fire pit is exposed to a lot of fatigue every time while using it, you have to consider its reliability. To check out the overall reliability of a given option, consider the body’s material, paint finish, overall structure and warranty period offered by the manufacturer. In most cases, the higher-end products carry a warranty period from the manufacturer as they are rated for long-term performance and durability.
9. Safety Features:
Propane or gas fire pits won’t pose a fire hazard by emitting ash, embers, and smoke, which makes it a safer option than wood/charcoal burning fire pits. But one has to always inspect the propane tanks, and gas lines to prevent potential leaks.
While wood-burning fire pits offer basic protection like deep basins and wire mesh shields to deter embers from falling outside the pit. To reduce this fire hazard of your fire pit, you have to follow either of these suggestions.
- Place the pit at a safe distance (a few miles) away from any structures/sitting arrangements.
- Place it on fireproof surfaces like stone, concrete or brick.
- Purchase fireproof mats to put it under the portable fire pits to keep it safe, even when are in or away from the home, for your complete safety.
10. Other Features and Accessories:
Check out these additional features and accessories when shopping for an outdoor fire pit to grab the best one.
- An outdoor fire pit having a 360° fire view will allow everyone to see the fire flames while enjoying time in the patio area.
- We notice some pits have permanent additions to outdoor living space, this makes portability is also an essential factor to consider. Most cauldron, freestanding style fire pits can be moved (portable) or stored easily.
- Get a basic fireplace toolset like a shovel and broom to handle most of the cleaning and maintenance tasks, particularly for the wood-burning fire pits.
- Compared to wood-burning pits, the gas fire pits have the convenience and various features like automatic shut-off for safety, and adjustable flame controls for heating and ambience.
- Fire screens are essential to control the flames and sparks. So, use them to protect yourself while spending time around the fire pit.
- Prefer to use colored fire glass in a gas fire pit, as this will add some splash under the flames and this rich color enhances the charm of your décor.
- Most fire pits offer additional features like cooking equipment, side tables, unique exterior designs, etc. Though these are quite useful with a lot of fun included, yet won’t prioritize these extra features over the performance and safety of the fire pit.
Tips to Use the Fire Pit:
Here are some general tips that you have to follow for the safe and effective usage of a fire pit.
- It is a must to keep a fire extinguisher nearby for safety purpose, irrespective of the type of fire pit you are using.
- Ensure that you regularly clean out the ashes and protect the fire pit with a cover from the external elements while not using will help to keep the fire pit in a better working condition and to last longer.
- Place a hard level surface like paver stones or concrete under the fire pit to protect the ground/floor from extreme heat.
- Make sure to check with your local building codes and homeowner’s association for any queries or restrictions about the fire pits.
- It is essential to perform regular maintenance checks on your fire pits (including all of their parts) for their proper and efficient working.
- Never use the outdoor fire pits on a balcony, indoors, or nearby anything flammable objects. Always keep the outdoor fire pit at least 15 feet away from any vegetation to prevent brush fires and thereby protect your yard.
- Select a proper location with a safe distance from low hanging trees or any structures before you construct a fire pit out of concrete or stone pavers (or) use a fire pit kit.
- Backyard fire pit disclosing is a requirement of the homeowner’s insurance policy. So, check out with your agent to know if having a fire pit will affect your coverage.
How to ignite the fire pit?
One should know how to lighten up the fire pit before making its purchase. A few models come with electronic ignition, and others have to be ignited manually with a match. Both manual and electronic (automatic) ignition has their own set of pros and cons.
Most experts suggest using manual ignition fire pits for safety rather than convenience, as it offers more control over its operation without turning on accidentally, especially in the case of gas fire pits. This gas pit offers electronic ignition that burns clear, and you may not realize that it is on during the daytime, if turn-on accidentally.
An outdoor fire pit can be a lifesaver on long journeys as well as a helpful companion in regular day to day life. You can use an ideal outdoor fire pit to either simply illuminate your backyard in the night or to host a lively barbeque party at your home or even at a distant location. As choosing 1 option from all these is a tedious task, we have provided you a list of all the best outdoor fire pits that you can buy right away. You can also find a dedicated buying guide in this article to help you make the right choice. But, if you are looking for our recommendations for the best outdoor fire pit, here they are:
- First, we will suggest you go with the KINGSO Outdoor Fire Pit if you are on a tight budget. This is a 22 inches patio fire outdoor fire pit that consists of a steel barbeque grill. It is also one of the most lightweight options as it weighs only 5.99 lbs.
- Now, if you are looking for a rather big fire pit, then Sunnydaze decor Outdoor Fire Pit is the best option for you. It is a 36 inches large bonfire pit that is backed by 1 year of warranty as well. As it is pretty large, it is pretty heavy weighing 29 lbs.
- Lastly, we will suggest HY-C flame genie fire pit as it is the most compact option from our list. It is a 13.5 inches outdoor fire pit, which is marginally smaller than other options from this list. This makes it easier to store and carry it around for long-distance journeys. It is also pretty lightweight, weighing only 10 lbs.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!