A detail sander works just per its name as it allows you to sand a given surface with high detail. It even works in small and tight spaces because of its compact shape and design. Although, if you want to buy a detail sander, you have to consider a lot of factors, including the following ones:
- Orbit Speed: Since these detail sanders have an orbital tool head, the orbital speed of this tool head is highly important. While it generally varies between 13000 to 14000 orbits per minute, generally, a higher rating results in better performance.
- Motor Power: As these detail sanders are powered by an electric motor, their amp rating is highly important. Usually, a 1.2 amp electric motor will offer better performance than a 0.8 amp electric motor.
- Warranty: If you wish to use a given detail sander for a long time, then you should get one that is highly reliable and durable. Most detail sanders out there come with a 2-year warranty with some reliable options, including a 5-year long warranty.
We are here with some of the best detail sanders along with major features and details. You can even find a detailed “Buying Guide” mentioned in this article alongside the various other details present here. In other words, you can go through this article until the end for picking up the perfect detail sander.
Best Detail Sanders
5 Best Detail Sanders Reviews
Black Decker is a highly popular brand of power tools that is known for making all kinds of options at different price tags, including a detail sander.
The Black Decker BDEMS600 Detail Sander is present in the 1st position in this article as it is the most powerful option mentioned here. It is powered by a highly powerful 1.2 amp electric motor that is quite efficient. This allows it to go up to 14000 OPM orbit speed quite easily that should be more than enough for most users out there. You can even change this orbit speed if needed using the variable speed trigger found in this detail sander.
A great thing about Black Decker is that it offers a 2-year long warranty with this detail sander that is always great to have. While the build quality could have been better, you do not have many other options out there if you are looking for such a powerful detail sander. Its 3 position grip ensures that you get a proper grip on this detail sander while using it. Although it can be slightly heavy for some users at 2.8 pounds, that is slightly on the higher side.
- Orbit Speed of 14000 orbits per minute
- Electric motor power rating of 1.2 amps
- 2-year long warranty
- 3 position grip for a better experience
- Weighs 2.8 pounds
- High-performance detail sander for heavy-duty usage
- Decent warranty period for peace of mind
- Comes with easy to use variable speed trigger
- Build quality could have been slightly better
- A bit on the larger and heavier side
Skil is known for making highly reliable and durable power tools, as well as their accessories, just like its sandpaper kit.
This Skil 73114 Octo sandpaper kit is present in the 2nd position in this article as it is the only sandpaper kit present in this article. Unlike all other options present in this article, this one does not come with a power tool. Instead, it just comes with 15 sandpapers that can be used with a Skil detail sander without any issues. These sandpapers are of high quality and support a maximum orbit speed of 13500 RPM.
As for the amp rating, these sandpapers can be used with any detail sander that uses up to a 1.2 amp electric motor. Since Skil power tools are known to be of high quality and highly reliable, all of the sandpapers included in this kit come with a 5-year long warranty. You also get an excellent build quality out of these that allow you to use them for a long time.
- Supported orbit Speed of 13500 orbits per minute
- Supported electric motor power rating of 1.2 amps
- 5-year long warranty
- High-quality sandpapers for heavy-duty usage
- Includes multiple sandpapers for flexibility
- Works flawlessly with Skil detail sanders
- High quality and heavy-duty sandpapers
- Highly reliable with a 5-year long warranty
- Not a power tool
- Primarily made for Skil detail sanders
TECCPO is a smaller brand of power tools when compared with other options in this article and yet offers a decent detail sander model.
The TECCPO DIY-TAMS22P detail sander has a high user rating because of the various features that it offers to the user. Starting with its electric motor, you get a 1.1 amp electric motor in this detail sander that should be more than enough for its users, especially when you consider its best in the class 14000 OPM orbit speed. It is able to achieve this with an efficient electric motor that does not have a high power consumption.
As you would expect from any other detail sander present in this article, TECCPO offers a 2-year long warranty to its user. Unfortunately, the build quality is nothing better than just average. Although, you cannot expect more at the given budget price tag of this detail sanders. When you consider the various features and the low price of this detail sander, you get a high value for money.
- Orbit Speed of 14000 orbits per minute
- Electric motor power rating of 1.1 amps
- 2-year long warranty
- High value for money detail sander
- Efficient electric motor with low power consumption
- Budget price tag with high value for money
- High-performance motor with high orbit speed
- Includes 12 piece accessory kit
- Average build quality in terms of construction
- Large and bulky in terms of the design
Meterk is another brand of power tools whose detail sander offering has a high user rating because of the various things it offers for the given price tag.
Meterk’s Mouse detail sander is the best option out there if you want a tool that comes with a lot of accessories. Unlike most other options out there, this Meterk detail sander offers a total of 16 sanding papers that is much higher than other options offering 12 or so pieces in the box. Moving over to the performance of this detail sander, it uses a decent 1.0 amp electric motor that is able to go up to 135000 OPM orbit speed since it is quite efficient.
Even though Meterk is a small brand of power tools out there, it offers a 2-year long warranty with its detail sander. When combined with its high build quality, you can expect to use it without any issues. Unfortunately, this detail sander is not perfect since it is quite heavy and large. When combined with its short power cord, it is not the most ideal option out there.
- Orbit Speed of 13500 orbits per minute
- Electric motor power rating of 1.0 amps
- 2-year long warranty
- Includes 16 accessory pieces
- Supports vacuum cleaner attachment
- Decent performance electric motor
- Low power consumption with an efficient motor
- Various handy features for ease of use
- Shorter power cord requires extensions
- Build is quite bulky and large in size
Enertwist is quite a new brand of power tools if you are looking for tools like a detail sander but still offers a lot of things to the user.
This Enertwist ET-DS-100 detail sander can be another great pick if you want a lot of accessories. Apart from coming with multiple sandpapers, you also get a dust box as well as a carrying bag for the detail sander and all of its accessories. Such accessories make your overall experience quite better and smooth in comparison with other options out there. Although these accessories are to be expected at the given price tag.
You get a 2-year warranty with this Enertwist detail sander that is the same as all other options present in this article. Its build quality is also quite good, which is to be expected at the given price tag. While it is quite lightweight at 0.75 pounds, it is not the most stable option out there. However, when combined with its compact size, it makes for a great portable option.
- Orbit Speed of 13000 orbits per minute
- Electric motor power rating of 0.8 amps
- 2-year long warranty
- Highly efficient electric motor
- Low power consumption with a small motor
- Comes with various accessories
- Decent performance out of an efficient electric motor
- Compact and lightweight construction
- Slightly on the expensive side
- Not the most stable detail sander
Buying Guide For The Best Detail Sander
As you would expect, there are a wide range of detail sanders out there, including the ones mentioned above in this article. Although, since this makes selecting one of them a bit difficult, we have mentioned all of the major features and options of the various models mentioned in this article.
If that is not enough for you to understand the differences between the different models out there, then we are here with a detailed buying guide. You can find all of the important things related to detail sanders in this buying guide so that you can completely understand these and buy the perfect one for you:
1. Orbit Speed
The Orbit Speed of your detail sander is highly important to check before buying any mode. It is one of the first things that you should check in order to differentiate between different detail sanders out there. If you are familiar with detail sanders or have gone through this article, then you must know that they have an orbital tool head.
It simply has an attached sanding paper that orbits using the electric motor of these detail sanders. Therefore, the orbit speed of a given detail sander is highly important to check. As you would expect, a higher orbit speed will result in more power for the given user.
This includes options like 13000 OPM or 14000 OMP, where the latter option offers more power. As orbit speed tells you the number of orbits in a given period of time, its unit is OPM or orbits per minute. Although, you can usually adjust this orbit speed using the variable speed trigger of a given detail sander.
2. Motor Power
As mentioned earlier, detail sanders use an electric motor for their power requirements. This motor is responsible for powering the tool head of a given detail sander along with other things if it has any. Due to this, the power output of this motor is highly important and handy to check if you want a powerful detail sander.
Just like any other electric power tool out there, this motor power is given in amps as 0.8 amps or 1.2 amps for different detail sander models out there. When compared with each other, the 1.2 amp motor will usually offer more power output to the user. Although, it can also result in a slightly higher power consumption in a lot of cases.
3. Size and Form Factor
Almost all sanding and finishing tools out there are made for handheld usage for proper and precise control. Due to this, most of them are small and compact. This is also true for detail sanders where you have to check the size and form factor before buying one. Generally, any detail sander that is small and compact can easily fit into tight spaces and small corners.
It even takes less space for storing in your toolkit or elsewhere in your garage or workshop. Similarly, any detail sander that has a low weight can be easily taken from one job site to another. Therefore, you should look out for detail sanders that are small and lightweight.
4. Sandpapers and Accessories
There are a lot of detail sander options out there that offer a lot of accessories included in the box. As you would expect, these things can make your overall experience much better. While they might not affect the overall performance, such accessories are always great to have. The most common thing that you can find included with detail sanders is a sandpaper pack.
While some of these options include 10 pieces of sandpapers, better options might include up to 15 pieces of sandpapers. Apart from sandpapers, you can even find carrying cases included with some detail sanders out there. Such cases can be quite handy for taking your detail sander from one job site to another safely without causing any damage to the sander.
5. Durability and Warranty
If you are planning to buy a detail sander, then the chances are that you want to last it for a long time. If that is also the case with you, then you should get one that is highly durable and reliable.
The easiest way to ensure this is to buy a detail sander that offers excellent build quality and uses metal parts instead of plastic ones wherever possible. You can also check the warranty period of a given detail sander. While most of the options out there offer a 2-year long warranty to the user, some models can even come with a 5-year long warranty for peace of mind
You can use various kinds of tools for sanding a given surface or object. Although, if you want proper results for detailed sanding and finishing touches in small and tight spaces, you have to use a detail sander.
Hence, we have mentioned some of the best detail sanders up above in this article. You can even understand the differences between them as we have provided their major features and options. When you combine it with the buying guide, you must know a lot of things about detail sanders. But if you are still confused, then you can simply select one of the following recommendations:
- The Black Decker Detail Sander is the most powerful option present in this article. It offers a highly powerful 1.2 amp electric motor that comes with a 2-year long warranty while offering a high orbit speed of 14000 OPM.
- If you just want grits for your existing detail sander, then go with the Skil Octo sandpaper. It supports up to 13500 OPM speed with 1.2 amp electric motor. A great thing about it is that it comes with a 5-year long warranty for peace of mind.
- You can go with the Teccpo Detail Sander if you are on a budget as it is the cheapest option mentioned here. Despite the lower price tag, it comes with a decent 1.1 amp electric motor that can go up to 14000 OPM while offering a 2-year long warranty.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!